Sunday, December 21, 2014

christmas

As Christmas-time is approaching and through celebrating Advent, I cannot help but think of how the story of Mary relates to the story of teen moms involved with YoungLives. My favorite thing about Mary is her response to it all. She was young. She wasn’t married yet. She was probably afraid of how others around her would respond. I imagine if it were me, I would ask God to choose someone else, but she did the opposite. Her response was a beautiful way to receive and obey what the Lord is asking her to do. “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. Luke 1:46-49. What faith!
I always think of the teen moms I serve as I think about Mary. It sometimes seems unfortunate. It often seems like it is wrong for a girl to have a baby at such a young age. It is a perspective that is understandable, however it is important to remember, it is all a part of God’s plan. I think of Samantha. I have had the privilege of getting to know her over the past few months as she was in the midst of her pregnancy. At 15 years old, she has admitted that she was afraid. When asked if she could change anything, she would have waited. However, she knows that she was chosen by God to give birth to her baby, Isaac. She gave birth to him a little over a week ago and has shown show much strength and has been fearless. The love she has for her baby boy is big. The love she has for him is a picture to me of the way Christ loves us. The name Isaac means laughter, I know that he was named that for a reason. I truly believe that Isaac will bring joy to Samantha as she raises him.




While reading a devotional from She Reads Truth today, it said “Whether you bear the title of mother, sister, professional, teacher, friend, neighbor—there is nothing common about the unique calling God has placed on your life or that dream that he has planted inside of your being.” I want to seek out and receive the calling that God has placed on my life. I want to take joy in being obedient to it, just as Mary and Samantha have taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment