Thursday, October 30, 2014

full circles

so much can change in one year...

     It's hard to believe that it was one year ago today I took a few vacation days so that I could spend time with three of my most treasured friends in Texas for Love Does Austin. I will never forget the peace I felt as we walked in. The smiles on all of the volunteers faces and the general spirit of everyone there put me at ease. The spirit of God covered the place in an authentic and tangible way.

hanging out with Bob Goff
      Last week I was asked to share the high point of my last year, and without question I mentioned this experience. The conference allowed for us to spend time in community with people who are pursuing Jesus and following his purpose for their life.




   




 
Jordan described the experience in such a perfect way...

"At Love Does Austin I was challenged, inspired, messed up, and encouraged. If you want to be inspired look up the following people who are living their lives for others in compelling and passionate ways - Bob Goff, Rebekah Lyons, Jamie Tworkowski (To Write Love on Her Arms), Theron Humphrey, Sleeping at Last (musicians), Amena Brown, Mike Foster, John Cotton Richmond, Veronica Tutaj, Jeremy Cowart, Jon Acuff, David Crowder..."

All of their stories were unique and beautiful- showing just how creative and strategic God is as he gifts the people of the church with various talents, abilities and passions.


   

        Out of all of the speakers, Veronica Tutaj stood out to me the most. Veronica is on staff with Young Life in Texas and serves as the YoungLives Regional Coordinator for the Lone Star area. She shared a story about a teen mom who was pregnant with her second child. Out of fear and anxiety, she chose not to have the baby. Veronica and other women in the area walked with her through such a heartbreaking time. That summer, she went to camp and met Jesus. I had chills down my spine and a fountain of tears running down my face as I heard a story of God's pursuit toward this teen mother. In that moment, the Lord was at work in my heart and mind and had no idea that three days later, I would be asked to consider leaving my career as a teacher in order to serve on staff as the YoungLives coordinator. 
    After she spoke,  I walked up to Veronica to give her a hug and thanked her for what she was doing in the lives of the girls. I told her how much I love YoungLives and I only wished to be involved again. Little did I know that within a year this wish would come true.

one year later

   I am moving into my third month of living in Fayetteville and serving as the NWA YoungLives Coordinator. The Lord has allowed me to step back into the lives of the girls that I met four years ago as a volunteer leader. He has also allowed me to begin walking with girls that are soon to be or new mothers. He is at work in this area and it is so much fun to be a part of it again. Just last week, I had a conference call for YoungLives with everyone in the Southern Division. Veronica shared some wisdom and I couldn't help but smile. We are now on the same team. 
       So many things have happened between one year ago and now, but it is truly incredible to be able to see the hand of God clearly at work in my life. What a joy it is to celebrate moments in life that come full circle. 
       I have come to adore how God works in ways that are so far above ours. He knows our hearts, our deepest passions and has a vast amount of joy to give to us if we just offer ourselves to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment